saving . . . saved Mesh converted from Fluent with Multiple zones (using splitMeshRegions issue in OF) has been deleted. Mesh converted from Fluent with Multiple zones (using splitMeshRegions issue in OF) has been hidden .
Mesh converted from Fluent with Multiple zones (using splitMeshRegions issue in OF)
Title
Question

Dear Whom it may concern,<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I am working as Nuclear Scientist in USA. I like to model spent fuel pool using OF chtMultiRegionTwoPhaseEulerFoam solver.( I have done self-study of OF for about 8 months).  <o:p></o:p>

I am working for resolving multi-region meshing conversion issue now.<o:p></o:p>

In order to extend the meshing approach for complicated geometry, I am trying to transfer the mesh generated by using Fluent into OF. For relatively simple solver like icoFoam, there is no problem on this approach(fluentMeshToFoam converter method). But when I try to apply this approach to tutorial case (solidQuecnhing2D; ESI2012 version) with chtMultiRegionTwoPhaseEulerFoam, there is error message coupled with runApplication splitMeshRegions -cellZonesOnly -overwrite.(i.e., polyMesh folder on each material(water and solid in constant folder) are not generated). From my extensive research of OF manuals and tests of models,<o:p></o:p>

Multiple material meshes are not permitted. If multiple fluid materials exist, they will be converted into a single OpenFOAM mesh; if a solid region is detected, the converter will attempt to filter it out.<o:p></o:p>

However, <o:p></o:p>

Using splitMeshRegions -cellZonesOnly -overwrite command in OF, OF allows the user to define a patch on heated solid boundary faces with cells on both sides(solid_to_water; water_to_solid). I think such patches are allowed to generate the polymesh in each material zone (water / solid) based on the constant/polyMesh generated by using Fluent mesh converter. However, it does not generate polyMesh in each material folder(water/solid).<o:p></o:p>

I am sincerely looking for the alternative ways or related reference case or appropriate procedures on this matter. Any comments or help is welcome.<o:p></o:p>

It would be great if you can search for answer on my issue or introduce me to  any OF expert on this matter. Thank you in in advance for giving me time on this matter.<o:p></o:p>

OpenFOAM Importing-mesh-file-in-OpenFOAM 08-09 min 20-30 sec 31-05-21, 5:07 a.m. choist31

Answers:

Hi,

From the description, I understand that you are able to convert fluent mesh to OepnFOAM mesh. Now when you are trying to spit the mesh for different regions, you are facing an issue.
To split the mesh into different regions, you first need to assign cellZones. For that first go into topoSetDict file, assign region correctly and then run "topoSet" command first.
Once you assign cellZones, you can move to the splitting part. Here you don't need to modify any file but correctly specify names in constant/region file and run the command "splitMeshRegions -cellZonesOnly -overwrite".
It will automatically creates regions for your mesh and different folders too. Regarding extra generated patches, it acts as a coupling and connect two regions for heat transfer.

For better understanding, have a look at this tutorial: https://youtu.be/Nhhm-ZPxVRc

Regards,
Divyesh Variya
31-05-21, 9:42 a.m. divyesh7

Log-in to answer to this question.