saving . . . saved Boss Installation has been deleted. Boss Installation has been hidden .
Boss Installation
Title
Question
Sir/Madam,

I am pleased to see a tutorial and forum on BOSS. At least some one is there who knows that there is an OS BOSS. I have joined linux users group in India. They always discuss all other distros except BOSS.There is a BOSS forum on internet which is locked perhaps due to lack of activity. I am not from IIT. I heard that in IIT they all use linux. But perhaps they do not use BOSS. If I ask some linux user in Mumbai to use BOSS he/she says how ubuntu/mint etc is superior. Unless there are lot of users  who will test BOSS how our country can improve BOSS ?

I do not know if there are any users of BOSS in Mumbai. I think an installation tutorial is also required. Somehow I installed BOSS
5.0 on Assus X553M laptop. It works fine except that the brightness key does not work. I tried a lot to resolve using internet debian forums but I could not find any solution. I talked to ASSUS technical person, who says you will get all the drivers for Win 8 but not sure for debian.
Now I have one question, could you please give me a complete list of laptops and desktops of all brands available in mumbai where BOSS can be installed perfectly without any driver problems ?  So at least I can suggest that laptop for BOSS users or use one for myself.

Forum will get questions if there are users. I am really  worried about the promotion of BOSS since it has been there since 2006-07.
I will try the latest version Anoop with the hope that my brightness problem will be solved.

The site www.bosslinux.in  is down at present.

--  Milind

BOSS-Linux Basic-Commands 00-01 min 0-10 sec 05-04-15, 12:22 a.m. Milindoka

Answers:

Dear Sir,
Thank You for your interest on BOSSLinux.
Function keys in a laptop greatly depends on the BIOS setup of the machine. For your ASUS laptop kindly check out below options.

1. In Grub press "e" and go to the line starting with "linux" . At the end of "queit splash" append "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor " . Press ctlr+X and start the machine. Now check for the brightness key .

2. Open terminal and install package xbacklight
sudo apt-get install xbacklight
Once it is installed , run "xbacklight -set 50" . If this reduces the brightness of the monitor, then we can map it with the function key accordingly.

Also send the output of "lspci -vv" and "lshw -html"

06-04-15, 4:33 p.m. premum
What you are saying is not an easy job for a non technical person like me who try to use BOSS against all odds.
I did try several such methods from net without success. I am ready to bring laptop at any place in Mumbai if any of the forum members is ready to do it. I am ready to purchase a laptop < 30k where BOSS installation will be smooth without any such problem. Please suggest all such models of any brand available in Mumbai. CDAC has not replied to my mail, I sent to them on 4 March 15, I also called them at Chennai office and they have once again taken my mail but no reply. Can anybody help ?

<pre wrap="">MAIL FROM : Milind Oka\r\n\r\nDATE & TIME : 4/3/2015 1:49:15 PM\r\n\r\nEMAIL ID OF SENDER : <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:oak445@gmail.com">oak445@gmail.com</a>\r\n\r\nMESSAGE BODY : Sir/Madam,\r\nI want to purchase a laptop and install BOSS 5.0 on it. Pl. provide me complete list of all the laptop models available in the market where the system can be installed perfectly without any driver or installation problems. So that can select and purchase one of them.\r\n\r\nThanks In Advance\r\n\r\n-- Milind\r\n</pre>
16-04-15, 8:52 p.m. Milindoka

Login to add comment

Log-in to answer to this question.